Tuesday, February 1, at 6:30 p.m. at the Owatonna High School Small Group Forum
The precinct caucus is the grassroots beginning of the political candidate process that leads up to local and state party conventions and endorsements and it all begins February 1. Going to a caucus gives you the opportunity to meet with your neighbors to talk about issues that are important to you, show support to your candidates, and influence who the party will endorse for office.
The Steele County Republican Party will meet for the Minnesota Precinct Caucus on Tuesday, February 1, at 6:30 p.m. at the Owatonna High School. We will initially meet in the Small Group Forum (use School Street doors) and then disperse to classrooms by township and precinct so you will only be meeting with your precinct or township neighbors.
Per state statute, to participate in Steele County Republican Party caucus, you must be eligible to vote in the November 2022 general election, live in Steele County, and you also must generally agree with the principles of the Steele County Republican Party who is hosting the caucus.
- There’s a call to order at 6:30 p.m. and the Pledge of Allegiance is said. Announcements are made and then attendees will disperse to the classroom with their individual wards and precincts with their neighbors.
- Prior to 8 pm, all eligible attenders may cast one vote in the Straw Poll for Minnesota Governor on a paper ballot and those votes will be tallied by a special group of tellers who will count ballots for the entire Steele County and report back what those results are.
- While votes are being tallied, each precinct/township will continue to do business of electing delegates and alternates to the County Convention to be held Saturday March 12, 2022, in Owatonna.
- The final business of the night is to discuss submitted resolutions and to vote on them if they should move forward to the Steele County Convention to be voted upon.
- Adjourn. The business of the night begins at 7:15 and may end anywhere between 8:15 and 9:00 pm depending on the discussion time.